HEALTHY SCHOOL NUTRITION AND PHYSICAL FITNESS ENVIRONMENT
The School District of Glenwood City recognizes that proper nutrition and physical activity are related to students’ physical well-being, growth, development and readiness to learn. A healthy school environment gives students consistent, reliable health information and ample opportunity to use it.
The School District of Glenwood City supports and promotes a healthy school nutrition environment, which includes the following:
- Quality school meals with an emphasis on nutritional foods
- School meals, breakfast and lunch, will follow at least the minimal U.S. Government’s Nutrition Standards
- Ala carte items that do not meet the District nutrition standards may be acceptable through moderation (ex: limit amount sold to a student)
- Other healthy food choices
- All foods served, sold or distributed throughout the school day shall meet the nutrition guidelines established by the District
- Pleasant eating experience
- Nutrition education
- Marketing health and nutrition within the community
The School District of Glenwood City is committed to providing opportunities for physical activity within the school day.
The School District of Glenwood City will promote knowledge and behavior that improve health, intellectual development and overall quality of life. Students, parents, teachers, school officials, community and business leaders must be actively involved in ensuring that the school environment promotes good health.
The district’s nutrition/wellness committee will monitor the implementation of the district’s wellness policies, evaluate the progress of related goals, serve as a resource to the staff, plan special events and incentives, and recommend policy revisions as necessary. The committee will meet at least twice yearly and will include the Director of Food Service; a building principal; school nurse; and a student, parent and staff member from each school level. Staff member representation should include at least one physical education teacher and one health teacher. An administrator will chair the committee.